I’ve been making this Asian Salad Dressing with Almond Butter on top of an Asian inspired salad for a few weeks now. It’s a nice change up from the traditional vinaigrette or ranch-like salad dressings. I also love that it is soy-free and vegan. I’ve been doubling the recipe to have some extra in the fridge. I will take cut up raw carrots, cucumbers and bell peppers and use the dressing as a vegetable dip. Super easy and healthy snack!
A couple notes about Asian Salad Dressing:
Let’s talk about red pepper flakes:
If you don’t tolerate spice that well, I recommend starting with half the amount of red pepper flakes and work your way up to the recipe amount. I personally love spice and think the red pepper flakes provides the perfect amount of spice when mixed with all the vegetables.
Let’s talk nut butters:
I use almond butter as the base for the dressing since I try to steer clear of legumes. If you are not avoiding legumes, peanut butter would taste really good in this recipe. I think sun flower butter, or sun butter would also be a good choice! The salad will still have an Asian flare to it but may taste a bit like a satay sauce if you decide to use peanut butter.
Let’s talk about lettuce:
When I’m making salads, I typically will always go for spring mix. I love the variety of dark leafy greens that are rich in vitamin A. Another good option which holds up well to this dressing is romaine lettuce. It offers a great crisp and won’t get soggy. Regardless of what you use, the salad will still taste yummy!
Looking for more salad dressing recipes? Try this Spring Green Salad with Honey-Basil Vinaigrette or everyones favorite, creamy dairy-free Ranch Dressing
Asian Salad with Almond Butter Salad Dressing
For the Almond Butter Salad Dressing:
- 2 tbsp smooth almond butter
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
For the Asian Salad:
- 1 large handful spring mix lettuce or 2-3 heads chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 large handful sprouts I like radish or broccoli sprouts
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1 large handful peas
- 1/4 cup cashews, toasted
- 1/2 yellow or red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- 1 orange, sliced
- Sprinkle of sesame seeds
For the Almond Butter Dressing:
- Combine all salad dressing ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Store in an airtight glass container in the refridgerator for up to five days or use on a salad right away
For the Asian Salad:
- Layer the sald ingredients on top of one another. Pour 1/2 to the full amount of the almond butter salad dressing on top and toss until the vegetables are well coated. Serve immediately!