Black Forest Cake Chia Seed Pudding is an easy-to-make healthy dessert or snack! It has a thick, creamy pudding with a tart yet sweet cherry sauce. Top it with a dairy-free chocolate sauce for the perfect dessert for cherry season.
Some links may be affiliate links. I may get paid if you buy something or take action after clicking one of these. If you do decide to buy, thank you! Your purchase allows me to continue sharing healthy and delicious recipes!
What is black forest cake?
Black forest cake, also known as black forest gateau, was inspired by the German dessert Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte. Black forest cake is made with chocolate sponge cake layered with a thick cherry sauce, a cherry liqueur called kirsch, and whipped cream.
- plant-based milk - the liquid used to make the chia seed pudding and the chocolate ganache. I used coconut milk in this recipe.
- chia seeds - tiny little greyish seeds packed with omega-3s. Chia seeds are the base of this dessert. Here is my favorite brand to use.
- honey or maple syrup - either unrefined sweetener works in this recipe. I like to use maple syrup the best. Also, for a vegan-friendly recipe, make sure to use maple syrup.
- frozen cherries - frozen cherries are the base of the tart yet sweet cherry sauce for the pudding.
- chocolate chips - to be used for the chocolate ganache, plus I like to add some on top before serving. My favorite brand is Enjoy Life. They are soy and dairy-free.
- vanilla extract - to enhance the flavors of the chia seed pudding.
See the recipe card for quantities.
The first step to making Black Forest Cake Chia Seed Pudding is to make the chia seed pudding. Combine the chia seeds, non-dairy milk, maple syrup or honey, and vanilla extract in a small bowl and mix. Allow the mixture to rest for ten minutes, then stir once more. Cover and place in the refrigerator for a minimum of one hour.
Next, make the cherry sauce by bringing frozen cherries, chia seeds, and a splash of water to a low boil. Allow simmering for 5-10 minutes. Once the cherries have cooked down slightly, transfer the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. If you have an immersion blender, that also works well.
Lastly, make the chocolate ganache by heating non-dairy milk and pouring it over chocolate chips. Once the chocolate chips have melted, stir until a thick sauce forms.
To assemble, place some chia seed pudding in a bowl. Top with the cherry sauce and chocolate ganache. Finish with fresh mint, fresh cherries, and chocolate chips.
Black Forest Cake Chia Seed Pudding, thankfully, does not require too many kitchen gadgets to make. To help make this recipe a breeze, here are some of my kitchen equipment suggestions:
- blender - Vitamix is the only blender I recommend and the one I use at home
- immersion blender - immersion blenders are also known as stick blenders. They are long and skinny and can be used to puree large pots of soup or, in this case, cherry sauce—no need to transfer it to a blender. An immersion blender is one of my favorite kitchen gadgets.
- measuring cups & spoons - two essential kitchen tools every cook needs. Here is a link to a measuring cup and measuring spoon set.
When stored in an airtight container in the fridge, chia seed pudding, cherry sauce, and the chocolate ganache will last for 3-5 days.
Unfortunately, this recipe can not be frozen.
More chia seed recipes:
Black Forest Cake Chia Seed Pudding
Chia seed pudding:
- 2 cups plant-based milk such as coconut milk
- ½ cup chia seeds
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups frozen cherries
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup chocolate chips plus extras for garnish
- 3 tbsp plant-based milk such as coconut milk
For the chia seed pudding:
- Combine the chia seeds, plant-based milk, your sweetener of choice, and vanilla extract in a medium-sized bowl or a large mason jar and stir. Allow the pudding to rest for ten minutes, then stir once again, making sure to break up any large clumps of chia seeds. Cover the pudding and place it in the refrigerator for a minimum of one hour.
For the cherry sauce:
- While the chia seed pudding is thickening, make the cherry sauce by combining the frozen cherries, chia seeds, and water in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a low boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Once thick, place the sauce into a blender or use an immersion blender and blend until smooth. Place the cherry sauce into an airtight container and allow it to chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
For the chocolate ganache:
- To make the chocolate ganache, gently heat the plant-based milk over the stovetop. Once hot, add the chocolate chips to the milk and stir. Once a sauce forms, place it in an airtight container and set it in the fridge until ready to use.
- To assemble, place some chia seed pudding in a bowl. Top with the cherry sauce and a drizzle of chocolate ganache. Finish with fresh mint, fresh cherries, and a few chocolate chips. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply