Seed Cycling Brownie Bites contain only five ingredients and come together in under twenty minutes! They are full of decadent chocolate and are naturally sweetened with Medjool dates. Store in the refrigerator for easy eating!
Seed cycling is one of the newest wellness trends that has been helping women rebalance their hormones in a natural and gentle way. I personally have been seed cycling for a few months now and have noticed a difference in my rheumatoid arthritis symptoms. I typically add the seeds to a morning smoothie or a big green salad but today I am sharing a super tasty and healthy way to consume seeds. Learn more about seed cycling here.
How to make this recipe
The first step to making these brownie bites is to grind the seeds in a coffee grinder. The seeds, especially the sesame and flaxseeds need to be ground for them to be easily digested.
Second, add the freshly ground seeds, pitted dates, cacao or cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and salt to a food processor and process until crumbly. If the mixture doesn't stick together when pressed between your fingers, add a little water.
Lastly, roll the mixture into 18 balls. Three brownie bites are one daily serving of seeds for seed cycling. Store the remaining bites in an airtight container or store them in the freezer until the next phase of your cycle.
What is seed cycling?
Seed cycling is the concept of consuming freshly ground seeds during certain days of a women's monthly menstrual period. During the first half of a cycle or the follicular phase, a woman would consume pumpkin and flax seeds. During the second half of the cycle or the luteal phase, sesame and sunflower seeds are consumed. The pumpkin and flaxseeds help promote the balancing of estrogen while the sesame and sunflower seeds promote the balancing of progesterone.
A women's body is very influential to our diets, exercise, stress levels, and the quality of our sleep. While seed cycling is not a cure-all, when used in combination with other lifestyle changes and hormone balancing practices, seed cycling can be an effective way to help reduce PMS symptoms, acne, boost fertility, and in my case, reduce the severity of flare-ups caused by rheumatoid arthritis.
DAYS 1-14 OF YOUR CYCLE
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground flaxseeds
DAYS 15-28 OF YOUR CYCLE
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground sunflower seeds
More about seed cycling
I wrote an entire blog post on the benefits of seed cycling and how seed cycling has helped reduce my rheumatoid arthritis symptoms the week before my monthly period. Read the blog post here.
Seed Cycling Brownie Bites
- 1 ½ cup pitted Medjool dates (about 15 dates)
- ¾ cup raw pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds depending on the cycle
- ¾ cup raw flaxseed or sesame seeds depending on the cycle
- ½ cup cacao or cocoa powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- water as needed
- Grind the seeds in a coffee grinder
- Add the ground seeds (pumpkin seeds and flaxseed for the first phase of your cycle or sesame seeds and sunflower seeds for the second phase of your cycle), pitted Medjool dates, cacao or cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and salt to a food processor and process until crumbly and well blended. The texture should be crumbly.
- Gently press some of the mixture between your fingers. If the mixture falls apart, add some water and blend again until mixed. Start with a tablespoon or two. The amount of water that you add will depend on how plump and juicy the dates are. My dates were a little dry so I needed to add ⅓ cup warm water until the mixture started to ball together.
- Once the brownie bite mixture is the right consistency, scoop out one and a half tablespoons and roll into a ball. Continue until it's all gone. You should end up with about 18 bites.
- Three brownie bites are one daily serving of seeds for seed cycling. Store the remaining bites in an airtight container or store in the freezer until the next phase of your cycle.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on one of those links and make a purchase, I may make a commission off your purchase at no extra charge to you. If you do buy, thank you! Your purchase allows me to continue sharing healthy and delicious recipes!