This Sweet Potato Bundt Cake with Cashew Buttercream is my take on a traditional classic, the carrot cake. With similar spices and the use of a sweet vegetable, it makes dessert a little healthier. For a grain-free cake, this is one of the softest and moist baked goods I have ever had. This cake can be enjoyed any day of the year, not just during the fall!
When I make this cake, it's gone within a few hours. I swear my husband and daughter have a secret language where they look at each other, give each other the head nod like, "Mom's making the cake....you know what to do..." and when that cashew butter cream goes on, they are both watching me like a hawk waiting for their chance to dig in. Once I have the first taste to make sure it turned out good, they are ready to go, forks in hand.
A couple notes about Sweet Potato Bundt Cake:
What if I don't have a bundt cake pan?
This cake can also be made in a regular cake pan. It just won't have the classic bundt cake shape. This cake can also be made into a loaf or into individual muffins. If you decide to try muffins, make sure to line the muffin tin with muffin papers.
Let's talk about cashew buttercream:
Dairy-free cashew buttercream is the perfect addition to this cake. To ensure that the buttercream stays on the cake, make sure your sweet potato cake is completely cooled before applying the buttercream. Otherwise, it will melt off. If you're in a hurry and need the cake to cool, place it in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes to speed chill it.
Need some more dessert inspiration? Try The Easiest Paleo Apple Crisp!
Sweet Potato Bundt Cake with Cashew Buttercream
- 3 cups sweet potato, shredded
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 ½ cup almond flour
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- ⅔ cup cashew milk
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 recipe cashew buttercream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix well
- In another bowl, combine the shredded sweet potato, eggs, maple syrup, cashew milk, and vanilla extract. Mix well
- Pour the sweet potato mixture into the dry ingredient mixture and fold until incorporated
- Pour the sweet potato batter into a greased bundt cake pan. Level out the mixture with a spatula and place in the oven
- Bake for 60 minutes or until the middle of the cake springs back to the touch
- Once the cake is cooled, remove from the pan and top with cashew buttercream