This Trail Mix Granola will be your favorite snack for long summer hikes, days on the boat, or to simply enjoy as a quick and easy breakfast. It is packed full of healthy nuts, and oats, and sweetened with dried fruit and a drizzle of chocolate.
Some links may be affiliate links. I may get paid if you buy something or take action after clicking one of these. If you do decide to buy, thank you! Your purchase allows me to continue sharing healthy and delicious recipes!
As I said above, this recipe is the ultimate summer snack. It's sweet, salty, and easily packed into a backpack for hikes or a picnic basket for the beach.
I offer a few variations for this recipe, along with substitutions. It's sure to please everyone in the family!
- gluten-free rolled or quick oats
- coconut flour
- baking powder
- maple syrup or honey
- coconut oil
- pumpkin seeds
- dried cranberries
- sunflower seeds
- chocolate chips
- sea salt
See the recipe card for quantities.
- The first step to making trail mix granola is to mix together the gluten-free rolled or quick oats, coconut flour, baking powder, and sea salt.
- Next, add the maple syrup and melted coconut oil, and combine to combine.
- Next, fold in the pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, raisins, and sunflower seeds. Spread the granola mixture out on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes. Halfway through the baking, stir the granola then continue baking until golden brown and crunchy.
- Remove the granola from the oven and allow it to cool completely. While the granola is cooling, melt the chocolate chips then drizzle over top. Optional: sprinkle sea salt over the melted chocolate for extra saltiness.
- Lastly, once the chocolate has hardened, break it into chunks and enjoy!
Watch the full recipe video here.
Hint: use coarse sea salt. Salt enhances the sweetness in this recipe giving it a great contrast.
If you know how to make the recipe fit a certain diet, let the reader know here. Don't fake it - only provide guidance on topics you have actual experience with.
- Using other nuts and seeds - any combination of nuts or seeds can be used for this granola as long as the total yield is around ½-3/4 cup.
- White chocolate granola - use white chocolate chips rather than semi-sweet chocolate chips or a combination of both
- Other dried fruits - feel free to substitute any of the fruit in the recipe. Chopped banana chips, cut-up dried mango, dried blueberries, or even large pieces of dates will keep the recipe exciting!
Make sure to check out this trail mix granola bar recipe from Downshiftology. It is sooo good!
You most likely already have everything you need to make this recipe. Here is a list just in case:
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowl - these All-Clad mixing bowls are my favorite! I have two sets and have had them for years and love the handle.
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups - All-Clad is one of my favorite cooking brands and love these measuring cups.
Trail mix granola can be stored in an airtight container for up to a month. Store in a dark and cool place.
Trail Mix Granola
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled or quick oats
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (for the drizzle)
- ½ tsp coarse sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the gluten-free rolled or quick oats, coconut flour, and baking powder. Mix to combine.
- To the oat mixture, add the maple syrup, vanilla extract, and melted coconut oil, and mix. Fold in the remaining ingredients except for the chocolate chips and sea salt. Spread the granola mixture out into an even layer on the baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes. Stir the granola and continue baking until golden brown and crunchy.
- Once the granola is baked, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool completely. While the granola is cooling, melt the chocolate chips then drizzle over the granola. Sprinkle the sea salt on top and allow it to harden.
- Once the granola is harden, break into pieces and ejoy!