Maple sweetened Chocolate Banana Muffins are vegan, gluten-free, and grain-free. They require minimal steps and will be out of the oven in under 30 minutes. Perfect for a healthy snack or low sugar dessert.
Some links may be affiliate links. I may get paid if you buy something or take action after clicking one of these. If you do decide to buy, thank you! Your purchase allows me to continue sharing healthy and delicious recipes!
Some chocolate banana muffins you will find in bakeries or at grocery stores contain sour cream, yogurt, or butter. My banana muffins are vegan friendly and are also oil-free. The cashew butter gives the muffins a creamy buttery-ness.
How to make this recipe
- The first step to making Chocolate Banana Muffins is to mix the ground flaxseed and water in a medium-sized bowl and allow to sit for ten minutes. This is the binder in the recipe also known as a flax egg. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Next, to the flaxseed, add the mashed bananas, cashew butter (or whatever nut butter or seed butter you prefer), maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- Add in the coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips. Mix until well combined.
- Place muffin papers in a muffin pan or grease with oil. Divide the muffin batter eventually among the 12 muffin cups. Place the pan in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes or until the muffin bounces back when gently pressed. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before enjoying.
Equipment you will need
- Muffin pan
- Muffin papers
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Cashew butter OR almond butter
- Ground flaxseed
- Cocoa powder OR cacao powder
- Soy-free chocolate chips
How to store
Chocolate banana muffins can be stored in an air-tight container on the counter for up to three days. Otherwise, store in the fridge for up to five days.
How to make mini chocolate banana muffins
This recipe can be modified to make mini chocolate banana muffins. Use a mini muffin pan and mini muffin papers. You can even go as far as using mini chocolate chips, but regular will work just fine. Bake the muffins are about 10-15 minutes. Like the regular-sized muffins, make sure the muffin bounces back when touched gently before removing it from the oven. Allow cooling completely before enjoying.
How to make a chocolate banana loaf
Chocolate banana muffins can also be made into a loaf. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or grease. Pour in the muffin batter and spread out into an even layer—Bake in a 350-degree oven for about 45 minutes. Like the muffins, gently touch the center of the loaf, and if it bounces back, it's baked. Allow it to cool completely before enjoying it.
Are you looking for more muffin recipes? Make sure to check out these:
- Grain-free Banana Muffins
- White Mulberry Muffins
- Easy Chocoalte Zucchini Muffins
- Morning Glory Muffins
- Lemon Poppy Seed with Lemon Coconut Glaze
Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 9 tbsp water
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup cashew butter or almond butter (or any nut or seed butter you prefer)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup cocoa powder or cacao powder
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- The first step to making Chocolate Banana Muffins is to mix together the ground flaxseed and water in a mdium-sized bowl and allow to set for ten minutes. This is the binder in the recipe also known as a flaxegg. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.