White Mulberry Muffins are naturally sweetened with applesauce. They come together in one bowl and bake in under 20 minutes for a quick and healthy snack.
I first made these muffins for the car ride up to our cottage. There was some applesauce and other ingredients in the fridge that I didn't want to go bad. I wasn't necessarily thinking these muffins would turn out so good. Rather, I would throw some ingredients in a bowl and pray something edible would come out of the oven. Anyone feel me who is one a restricted diet?! I was so surprised at how well they turned out!
I'm also going to try and cut back on my sugar intake. Use even more natural sugars like applesauce and dates in my baking. See if it helps decrease some of the inflammation in my body. I will still eat coconut sugar, maple syrup and honey, but really limit the amount. Having healthy snacks like these no added sugar muffins on hand are a great way for me to be successful.
How to make white mulberry muffins
- The first step for making White Mulberry Muffins is to mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Scoop out the muffin batter and place in a muffin paper lined muffin tin.
- Lastly, bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and enjoy! Honestly, they are THAT EASY!
what are mulberries?
There are a few types of mulberries. The most common are white, red and black mulberries. If you have never had one before they taste like super sweet blackberries. I do think they have more of a delicate flavor compared to a blackberry. They lack that sour or tart taste. Once dried, the sweetness condenses and is like popping little candies into your mouth.
My favorite white mulberries are from Sun & Swell Foods. Sun & Swell Foods is a small family owned business based out of California selling organic pantry staple items online. Some of my favorite products from Sun & Swell Foods include organic almond butter, organic coconut oil, and roasted pumpkin seeds.
White Mulberry Muffins
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp coconut flour
- ¾ cup tapioca starch
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ¾ cups unsweetened or cinnamon applesauce
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup dried white mulberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place 12 muffin papers in a muffin tin.
- In a meium size bowl, comebine the coconut flour, tapioca flour, ground cinnamon, and baking soda. Mix well with a whisk.
- Once the dry ingredients are mixed, add the beaten eggs, applesauce, lemon juice, vanilla extract, an salt. Mix well into the dry ingredients. Add the mulberries at the end and fold.
- Put the muffin batter in the 12 muffin papers and place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Once baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool before enjoying.