Lemon Poppyseed Energy Bites are the perfect no bake, on-the-go snack for when you need a little bit of something to take the hungry edge off. They taste just like a lemon poppyseed muffin! Packed with nutrient dense ingredients like coconut and turmeric, I bet you can’t eat just one!
What I love about these energy bites besides that they require no baking and only contain 7 ingredients is the refreshing lemon flavor. It’s almost Spring in Northern Michigan and I’m loving all the Spring flavors and smells!
Since I have such a restricted diet, eating at airports can be extremely difficult to nearly impossible. When I travel somewhere new, I don’t always know what type of restaurants will be close by or how I will make sure I stick with my diet. While sticking to my diet 100% while on vacation isn’t always realistic, I try my best to be prepared with snacks for those ‘oh crap!’ moments. I always try to make some sort of energy and nutrient dense food to take with me.
As of lately, I have been noticing some gastro issues when I eat nuts so I’ve been trying to keep them out of my diet as much as possible. So when I decided to make some energy bites for my trip, I needed them to be really simple and seed-based.
A couple notes about Lemon Poppyseed Energy Bites:
They will last up to two weeks covered in the fridge. You can also make them and place them in the freezer for up to a month. This is my favorite way to store them. I can make a bunch and grab as needed.
I recommend using roasted sunflower seeds. You can absolutely use raw but I like the toasty flavor of the seeds. If you buy your seeds raw and want to toast them, simply place in a sauce pan and warm on the stove top on low heat until they are lightly golden brown.
Also known as date nectar, date syrup is a product found in the baking aisle at your grocery store. It is a sweetener alternative made only of dates. It has a caramel consistency and is a little less sweet than maple syrup or honey. My favorite brands are D’Vash Organics and Just Date Syrup.
Lemon Poppyseed Energy Bites
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup sunflower seeds, raw or toasted I prefer toasted
- 1/4 cup + 1 TB date syrup
- Zest of two lemons
- 1 tsp poppyseeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and process until it resembles a mealy texture and is well incorporated
- With a tablespoon, taking a heaping amount of the mixture and roll into a ball
- Place the energy bite in a glass container or on a serving plate. Continue with the remaining mixture. You will end up with 12-16 balls depending on the size.
- Once all the mixture is used up, cover and allow to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes before enjoying