Blueberry Crumble Bars are crispy, jammy, and full of blueberry flavor! The shortbread is a one bowl recipe and the blueberry filling comes together in minutes on the stove. They can be enjoyed for breakfast with coffee or for dessert with a scoop of dairy-free ice cream.
This recipe actually came together by mistake. I was working on a cookie recipe and by accident, I made this amazing shortbread. It's kind of like a sugar cookie meets a shortbread cookie. It's soft and chewy, but crispy on the edges. I love when good mistakes happen in the kitchen!
After I nailed down the shortbread, it was time to work on the blueberry filling. While I enjoy super sweet desserts, when it comes to fruity desserts, I prefer the natural sweetness of the fruit to be the star. I like to think of added sweeteners to fruit desserts as an ingredient that highlights the natural sweetness. I tried making the filling with maple syrup, then date syrup, then honey. The honey ended up being the perfect pair for the blueberry!
How to make Blueberry Crumble Bars:
These bars are so incredibly easy to make! First, a one bowl shortbread dough is made and par baked until lightly golden brown. Then the blueberry filling is made over the stove and poured on top of the shortbread. Lastly, little bits of shortbread are crumbled on top and baked for another 15-20 minutes. Super easy and super yummy!
Allow the bars to cool before cutting:
Once the bars come out of the oven, it's important you allow them to come to room temperature before cutting. The shortbread will be slightly crumbly and the blueberry filling needs time to set up. I know it's hard to be patient when they look so delicious!
Looking for more easy dessert ideas? Try the Easiest Apple Crisp or Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding.
Blueberry Crumble Bars
For the crust and topping:
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup ghee, softened
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
For the blueberry filling:
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp tapioca starch
- 2 tsp water
For the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8x8 pan with oil or ghee
- IN a medium sized bowl, comebine all shortbread ingredients and mix until well combined
- Reserve ¼ cup of the shortbread and press the remaining on the bottom of the 8x8 pan into an even layer
- Place in the oven and par bake for 10 minutes
For the blueberry filling:
- Place the blueberries, lemon juice and honey in a small sauce pot over medium heat. Heat until the bluieberries are no longer frozen and come to a slow boil
- In a small dish, combine the tapioca starch and the water and mix to make a slurry
- Pour the slurry into the boiling blueberry mixture and stir. The filling will start to thicken and have a jam like consistency
- Remove the crust from the oven and pour the blueberry filling on top and spread out to an even layer. Take the reserve shortbread and crumble on top of the blueberry filling. Place back into the oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until the crumble on top is golden brown
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before enjoying!
Leave a Reply