It really can’t get any simpler than Chicken, Lemon & Artichoke Soup. This recipe is so flavorful you would think it took hours to make in the kitchen. Don’t tell anyone but it only takes about 30 minutes!
The inspiration behind this soup is from one of my favorite restaurants in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Marie Catrib’s was a restaurant that made all the classics such as pastrami Reubens, beef brisket sandwiches, and all with gluten free and vegan options. They also made some of the best gluten free and vegan baked goods I have ever had. My husband and I would drive out of our way anytime we traveled downstate just to get a reuben, a baked good and a Turkish coffee. Unfortunately, the owners shut the restaurant down in October 2018 so they could enjoy retirement. One of my favorite soups I ate at Marie Catrib’s was a chicken, lemon and artichoke soup and this recipe turned out very close to theirs.
How to make Chicken, Lemon & Artichoke Soup:
This soup recipe starts with browning chicken breasts in hot oil until cooked through. Second, mirepoix, a mix of onions, carrots, and celery are softened with garlic. Chicken stock and lemon juice are added along with canned artichokes and simmered. The chicken is shredded and added back to the soup along with fresh spinach. Simple, right?!
Let’s talk about artichokes:
Artichokes can be a little intimidating if you don’t cook with them that often. They are a vegetable but look like a flower with very tough leaves. Where do you start? Maybe you’ve heard you can steam them or roast them. Can you eat the leaves? What about the heart? Maybe you’ve heard artichoke hearts were the best part. Well, you don’t need to worry about all that! Because you can go to the store and buy canned artichoke hearts! Thank goodness.
Chicken, Lemon & Artichoke Soup
- 2 tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 2 # pounds chicken breasts
- 14 oz artichoke hearts, chopped
- 3/4 yellow onion, small diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, small diced
- 1/2 cup celery, small diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 large handfuls fresh spinach
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Place a a large soup pot over medium heat and add the ghee or olive oil.
- Season the chicken breasts with some salt and pepper and add to the pot until brown. Once browned, flip the breast and brown the other side. About 4 minutes on each side. Once the chicken is browned, remove from the pan and chop into bite size pieces
- Turn the heat to low and add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic to the pot and cook until the onion is soft, about five minutes
- Add the chicken broth, lemon juice, bay leaf, chopped chicken, and artichokes. Add the salt and pepper to taste and simmer on low for 15-20 minutes
- Serve and enjoy!