Sweet Potato Coconut Curry Soup with Lime Roasted Pumpkin Seeds is so creamy and luxurious. It is a pureed soup that is slightly spicy from the curry yet sweet from the sweet potatoes and coconut milk. The addition of lime roasted pumpkin seeds add some sourness and some crunchiness. I love making this soup in January when I don't really want to go outside and would rather be sitting on my couch under a blanket.
If you haven't noticed yet, I love soups. They are the perfect meal in my opinion. You can throw in whatever vegetables you want, add some protein and boom, soup. I love this recipe because you literally put five ingredients in a big pot and walk away. It's super simple and super easy.
A couple notes about Sweet Potato Coconut Curry Soup:
Let's talk about curry paste:
I'm sure you are aware that there are multiple types of curry out there. Before I really understood curries, I used to walk down the grocery store aisle very confused. Yellow curry, red curry, green curry, paste vs. powder- I never really knew which one to pick.
Here's a basic breakdown on curries:
- Yellow curry is made with turmeric
- Red curry is made with red chiles
- Green curry is made with green chiles and lime and basil
- Curry paste typically has vegetable oils added to it while curry powder is simply the dried spices
There are so many brands of curries on the market and they all taste slightly different. The go-to brand of curry paste I use is Thai Kitchen. Although it's not organic, it does have very clean ingredients and is made without sugar or soy.
Sweet Potato Coconut Curry Soup with Lime Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
For the soup:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion about 1 medium onion
- 1 clove garlic about 1 large clove
- 5 cups sweet potato about 3 large sweet potatoes
- 3 cups lite coconut milk
- 2 tbsp red curry paste I use Thai Kitchen
- 2 tsp salt
For the pumpkin seeds:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp lime juice
- ½ tsp lime zest, about ¼ lime
- Pinch of salt
Sweet potato coconut curry soup:
- Mince the garlic and medium dice the yellow onion
- Add the olive oil to a medium sized soup pot and place over medium heat
- Once the oil is hot, add the yellow onion and garlic. Allow the onion to soften, about five minutes. Make sure to stir every minute or so
- Meanwhile, peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into 1 inch cubes. Once cut, add them to the pot with the softened onion and garlic along with the coconut milk, curry paste and salt. Cover and simmer on low until the sweet potatoes are cooked, about twenty minutes
- Transfer the soup to a blender and blend until pureed and smooth. You may need to blend in two batches.
Lime roasted pumpkin seeds:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Add the olive oil, pumpkin seeds and lime juice to a small bowl and toss
- Spread out the pumpkin seeds in an even layer on a baking tray and place in the oven. Stir the pumkin seeds every couple of minutes. The lime juice will start to evaporate and the pumpkin seeds will start to toast
- Once the lime juice has evaporated and the seeds are golden, remove from the oven. Sprinkle the lime zest on top of the pumpkin seeds and toss around until coated.
- Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds on top of the sweet potato curry soup and enjoy!