Dairy-free Mango Lassi is thick, velvety, and the perfect drink on a warm spring or summer day. Mango lassi is a classic Indian beverage made with fresh, frozen, or mango pulp, yogurt, milk, and honey or cane sugar. Saffron or cardamom can also be added or sprinkled on top. My version is dairy-free and can also be modified to be vegan.
How to make this recipe
I prefer to use frozen mango as it chills the drink and gives it a smoothie texture. Combine the frozen mango chunks, non-dairy yogurt, coconut milk, and honey (or maple syrup for a vegan option) in a blender and blend on high until creamy. Pour into two glasses, add a straw and enjoy.
Using fresh mango
If you decide to use fresh mango for this recipe, make sure it is very ripe or you will have to add more honey for sweetness. Alphonso mangoes or red mangoes work really well for this recipe. Alphonso manages are a little smaller, so make sure to use 2 cups as stated in the recipe.
What if I don't want a vegan mango lassi?
Yogurt and milk substitutions
I understand that not everyone is dairy-free like me. I like to give options for my recipes to be inclusive for every diet. If you consume dairy products such as cows milk yogurt or milk, go ahead and replace the ingredients with your favorite dairy-full products. I recommend using an unsweetened and plain yogurt and whole milk to ensure lots of creaminess.
If you are vegan, I recommend replacing the honey for maple syrup or a sprinkle of cane sugar.
Optional additions and toppings
To get a little more out of your dairy-free mango lassi, add some of your favorite health-boosting smoothie additions such as:
- A banana for more energy
- Couple scoops of collagen peptides for added protein (my favorite way to add more protein into my day)
- Your favorite green powder
- A handful of blueberries for antioxidants
- ½ an avocado for healthy fats
- A sprinkle of hemp, chia, or flaxseeds for an omega-3 boost
- Sprinkle with cardamom and crushed pistachios for a classic Indian Mango Lassi
Dairy-free Mango Lassi Smoothie
- 2 cups frozen mango chunks
- 1 cup non-dairy yogurt (I used Forager Unsweetened Vanilla Bean Yogurt)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp honey (or maple syrup for vegan option)
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy. Pour into two glasses and enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on one of those links and make a purchase, I may make a commission off your purchase at no additional cost to you, If you do buy, thank you! Your purchase allows me to continue sharing healthy and delicious recipes!