Strawberry Cupcakes are super easy to make and taste so delicious! I made this recipe as a cake for my niece's 6th birthday party. Let me tell you, it was a huge hit! Top with Vanilla Cashew Buttercream, for a dairy-free and gluten-free dessert the whole family will love.
How to make this recipe
The first step in making Strawberry Cupcakes with Vanilla Cashew Buttercream is to grind the freeze-dried strawberries in a food processor until powdery and finely ground. Next, add them to a bowl with all the ingredients except for the egg whites. Mix to combine.
In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, whip the egg whites until they form stiff peaks, about five to ten minutes. Next, fold the egg whites into the strawberry batter. Scoop the batter into 12 muffin papers and bake for about thirty minutes or until the cupcakes are slightly cracked on top and bounce back if gently touched.
Lastly, make the vanilla buttercream by soaking cashews in hot water for a least an hour. Drain the cashews and blend with the maple syrup, nut milk, lemon juice, vanilla, and salt. Blend in a blender or food processor until ultra-smooth and creamy.
Place the buttercream into a piping bag and add frosting to the top of the cooled cupcakes. Enjoy!
How to make strawberry cakes
This recipe makes either 12 cupcakes or will make two 6 inch cakes. If you decide to make cakes instead, line the bottom of the cake pan with parchment paper and coat the sides with nonstick cooking spray before adding batter to the pan.
Other frosting options
Tory from Nourishing the Glow has a six ingredient Strawberry Buttercream Frosting that is paleo and vegan. It looks so delicious and would be a great way to add even more strawberry flavor to these cupcakes.
I mean, who doesn't love a chocolate-covered strawberry!? Try this Paleo & Vegan Chocolate Fudge Frosting from Erin at Texanerin Baking. It's dairy-free and contains only a few ingredients you most likely already have on hand.
How to store
These cupcakes can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days. I recommend keeping them in an air tight container to prevent the. buttercream from drying out.
Equipment I use to make this recipe
The Cuisinart Hand Stick Blender comes with a mini food processor that is perfect for this recipe. The freeze-dried strawberries easily fit into the food processor and become finely ground within a few seconds. Plus, it's a super easy clean up. I also use this stick blender to make salad dressings, whip up egg whites, and make whipped cream for desserts.
Strawberry Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp coconut flour, sifted
- 3 cups freeze-dried strawberries (or two 1.2 ounce bags)
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- ⅔ cup coconut oil, melted
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2x Vanilla Cashew Buttercream Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with 12 muffin papers
- Place the freeze-dried strawberries into a food processor or blender and process until finely ground and no large chunks of strawberry remain.
- Place the egg whites in a bowl of a stand mixer and using a whisk attachment, whip until the eggs form stiff peaks. While the egg whites are whipping, combine the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Add the egg whites to the batter and gently fold until completely incorporated.
- Using a ⅓ cup measuring cup, scoop out the strawberry batter equally into the muffin papers. Place the muffin tin into the oven and bake for about 30 minutes. The tops of the cupcakes will have slight cracks in them and should bounce back when touched. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. While cooling, make the Vanilla Cashew Buttercream. Alternatively, the buttercream can be made up to two days in advance.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one of these links and make a purchase, I may make a commission off your purchase at no cost to you. If you do buy, thank you! Your purchase allows me to continue sharing healthy and delicious recipes!