It doesn’t get any better than Lemon Balm Roasted Chicken. This chicken is covered in a compound butter before being roasted until the skin is golden brown and crispy. Lemon Balm Roasted Chicken is a simple and easy spring meal!
My story about Lemon Balm:
Lemon balm and I have this little connection. After my primary care doctor diagnosed me with rheumatoid arthritis, she made the suggestion that I start drinking lemon balm tea and incorporating lemon balm where ever I can in my daily routine. I went to multiple grocery stores and had no luck finding it. I remember feeling so defeated after not being able to get my hands on it. It was probably due to the stress of having yet another chronic illness to deal with and I wasn’t coping well.
It just so happen that I was diagnosed with RA the same week that we would pick up our first CSA (community supported agriculture) box. I remember opening the box and being so excited about all these new fresh vegetables and simultaneusly feeling very depressed about my new health issue. I opened the box and removed the plastic packaging and guess what was right on top? Two beautiful bunches of fresh lemon balm! I interpreted that sign as a sign from God saying, you will be OK and you are going to get through this.
About a week after opening that CSA box, I was in our backyard playing with my kids and I looked over at some thyme and chives that the previous owners had planted. Nestled right next to them behind some weeds was a small plant of lemon balm. When I see that little plant every spring when the leaves turn green, it’s a small reminder that even though I am young and am still trying to figure out how to live with the pain that RA brings into my life, I know that I will always be OK.
Some of the health benefits of Lemon Balm:
- Assist with digestion
- Lemon balm has antiviral properties
- Helps improve cognitive function and focus
- Helps relieve the nervous system and can be used for depression and anxiety
- It has been known to be used in traditional medicine as a sleep aid
Save to Pinterest!
Looking for more easy chicken recipes? Make sure to check these out!
- Sundried Tomato & Spinach Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Piccata
- Lemon-Rosemary Chicken Thighs
- The Best Grilled Chicken
- Grain-free Chicken Tenders
Lemon Balm Roasted Chicken
- 1 whole chicken, about 3.5 #
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon balm, finely chopped + 2 stems
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 lemon, quarted
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the whole chicken on a cast iron skillet or on a roasting pan. Place the quartered lemon inside the cavity of the chicken along with 2-3 stems of lemon balm
- Using kitchen twine, tie the chicken legs together over top of the chicken cavity and then tuck the wings underneath the chicken
- Place the softened butter, chopped lemon balm, chopped thyme, minced garlic, salt, and the black pepper into a bowl and mix wel. Using your hands or a spatula, rub the butter mixture all over the chicken breasts, under the skin and all over the legs and wings
- Place the chicken, uncovered into the oven and roast for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a thermometer reads 180 degrees taken in the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone. remove the chicken from the oven and cover with aluminum foil. Allow the chicken to rest at least ten minutes before cutting and enjoying